EXPLAINER: Lab results and their interpretation

Hi @Richlove,
It is hard to see what the T shows across. Check on the package and it should have a guide on how to read the test results. It is difficult to tell from what you have shared. Bansah1

1 Like

@Bansah1 thank you for your response will definitely check it out please

2 Likes

Hello, can someone help my understand what this means?

Ag DE SUPERFICIE HEPATITIS B (Ag.HBs) → NEGATIVE
Ac ANTI-ANTIGENO DE SUP VHB(HBsAc) → 24.10 mUI/ml POSITIVE
Ac IgG ANTI-CORE HEPATITIS B NEGATIVE

Hi @ test_user
Welcome to hepbcommunity.org forum .
Your laboratory results show that HBsAg -ve and anti HBc -ve which mean that you have no HBV exposure or infection and you have anti HBsAg +ve = 24.10 mIU/ml which mean that you have antibody produced by your body immune system to HBsAg due to vaccination and it can protect you from HBV infection, however, the antibody titer is quite low(<100 mIU/ml) and you should consult with your doctor to consider a booster dose of HBV vaccine to maintain the antibody titer at a protective level .I hope this nay help you.
chul_chan
Chulapong Chanta. MD. Pediatrics. CRH . Thailand.

2 Likes

As @chul_chan points out, simply put: these results are consistent with someone who is protected from hep B and has never been exposed to it.

Thomas

2 Likes

Thanks for your help

1 Like

The test says…… please what does it mean

HBsAg positive

HBsAb negative

HBeAg negative

HBeAb positive

HBcAb negative

Hi @ anonymous 74
From the Hepatitis B profiles , this patient has antiHBc -ve . There may be 4 possibilities 1) If this is the total anti HBc (IgG and IgM)
It means that this patient had no exposure to HBV and HBsAg should be - ve , so this condition is unlikely possible.
2) antiHBc Ig M -ve and Total antiHBc +ve , this mean that this patient has chronic HBV infection with HBeAg seroconversion (inactive)
3) If this is total anti HBc -ve , it may be detected in early acute HBV infection, however, HBeAg result should be positive
4) False negative result of anti HBc which is rarely occurs due to body immune response to structural core Ag protein of HBV usually gives lifelong immunity. So, I think that you should repeat antiHBc test for confirmation.
chul_chan
Chulapong Chanta. MD. Pediatrics
Chiangrai hospital. Thailand.

@chul_chan thank you so much….

dear @ThomasTu , @availlant

I want to ask for you help to interpret my result ,
before 2 or 3 month, after high inflammation i transfer from HBeAg positive to negative and my HBV DNA was 26500 and HBsAg was 18.7 (i ask this to check the quantity), but now when i did i got this result why my hbsag go up rapidly ? i guess it is quantity of hbsga

the second test

can it be measured by S/CO ?? i mean when we test qualitative test (S/CO) can we get this amount of big number ?? what i am sure is 18.7 is quantity what i asked strictly , but incase of 2850 i do no what is measured quantity or quality .

Dear @lemlem,

Both of your HBsAg tests appear to be QUALITATIVE. This means that they can only tell you if HBsAg is present or not. The numerical value reported is not a direct measure of the amount of HBsAg present but simply the ratio between a control sample (with no HBsAg) (cutoff) and your sample (signal). If your sample returns the same signal as the control sample than the ratio is zero, which is the threshold for negativity.

In reality, although the signal:cutoff (S/CO) ratio has changed a lot in your case, this does not mean a large change in HBsAg. To understand the true changes in your HBsAg levels, you would need to use a QUANTITATIVE test, which reports HBsAg levels in IU/mL and has a lower limit of quantification of 0.05 IU/mL.

HBsAg values can very during chronic HBV infection, whether you are taking NUC therapy or not. This is is nothing to be worried about.

@availlant

1 Like

Is this test kit sold in clinics for private testing???
If yes,then I need one

Dear @availlant @ThomasTu

I ask both labratory i got confirmation

First test hbv dna 26500 and hbsag 18.7 quanititatve as per the lab response i am not sure if i understand well.

Second test hbv dna 650 and hbsag is only qualitative or 2850 S/co as per their confirmation

Best regards

Dear @lemlem,

Unfortunately, the responses you have received are contradictory so it is difficult to assess what kind of test was used for the first result.

For sure the second test is qualitative since it reports S/Co.

The quantitative HBsAg test is never reported as an index and always reported with defined units (IU/mL). The qualitative test is always reported as S/Co (like your second result).

Now even if the first test is quantitative (and not reported properly) and the second is qualitative, we cannot really know if there is a any meaningful change in HBsAg and in any case you should not be worried.

When you are on NUC therapy, what is important is that your HBV DNA remains very low or undetectable and your ALT remains normal. These are the results that ensure that liver disease will never progress.

@availlant

1 Like

Well noted @availlant ,

thank you very much

Greetings to you all! I need support from anyone who can help as I navigate my chronic hepatitis B condition. I was diagnosed with hepatitis B a year and a half ago during a visit to a local clinic for another illness. I had some slight pain in the upper right side of my abdomen, and the doctor discovered the infection but didn’t inform me at that time; it was only noted in my medical history.

Just two days ago, during a follow-up visit for another issue, a different doctor revealed my hepatitis B diagnosis, confirming that it is chronic. I was shocked to learn this! The doctor advised me to return in six months, but I am deeply stressed and worried about what this means for my health. I don’t have detailed knowledge about the disease and am concerned about how long I can live with this condition.

Please help me with any information or support you can offer!

Welcome @kidusem

You can live a normal long life if you look after your body.
I’ve had HBV for 40 years.
I eat healthy get monitored, blood test and ultrasound every 6 months.
It’s important to have those tests because there’s usually no symptoms of liver damage and it’s important to get onto treatment as soon as damage is detected.
Treatment is usually one tablet a day. I’ve been on treatment for about eight years. No major side-effects.
It’s great you have found this forum. Have a read of some of the posts to get an idea of what you’re dealing with.
I suppose the doctor didn’t give you any information on the condition of your liver?
Sorry I have taken so long to respond.
@Bansah1 @ThomasTu
Blessings

Thank you for your help, Caraline. I’m grateful for this information, as it may help lessen my stress. The doctor informed me that I have chronic hepatitis B but didn’t provide details about my liver status; I have a follow-up appointment in six months.

I need to know whether this result could be incorrect and if I should seek a second opinion. Additionally, what type of tests should I undergo to assess my liver status and determine if I should start treatment? I’ve read that hepatitis B patients are advised to get vaccinated for hepatitis A, but I’m not sure if this is a recommended measure.

I have a wife and two children. My wife was just diagnosed with hepatitis B, but her test result came back negative. She had prenatal follow-ups for both children, who have received vaccinations. I’m concerned about whether my wife’s diagnosis might be incorrect or if it’s possible she hasn’t contracted the virus after five years of marriage. I’m also uncertain whether my children should be tested.

I’m trying to gather information on the next steps I should take. I feel fortunate to be part of this group, and I greatly appreciate your support. Your guidance means a lot to me, especially since health services are limited in my area. I look forward to your continued assistance.

1 Like

Hi @kidusem,
Welcome to the community. If I understand you well, you first got a diagnosis about 1.6 years ago. You were made aware in the past about this, and you recently got a different doctor to tell you about your diagnosis again, right? Please, take such things seriously even if the information is not what we want to hear.

We all did not want to hear about our diagnosis initially, until we realized the danger of our inaction. Please, try and find a provider that treats hepatitis B patients and follow-up so you can get a clear picture of where you are. You can get your wife tested again if the first test does not look right. False positives and negatives can happen, so get her tested again. If she is negative, let her get vaccinated. I am glad to hear that your children are already vaccinated.

Many people have this virus, but because they are not sick or have any symptoms they are not aware they have it, then they get a surprise diagnosis when they least expect it. That is the story of most HBV patients. Follow-up with your doctor, and take care of yourself. Even though there is no cure for HBV, it can be managed. Don’t lose hope or give up. Continue to live. I hope this helps, Bansah1

1 Like

Thank you for your help, Bansah 1. I was not informed about my diagnosis at first. The diagnosis was made about a year and a half ago, but the doctor did not make me aware of it. Instead, he told me that I had a kidney stone. However, he did write the test result for hepatitis B in my medical record. It was only when I visited the same clinic for a different issue—slight back pain—that another doctor asked me, “Are you taking care of the hepatitis case?” This was completely new information for me. Just this week, I learned that I have chronic hepatitis B.
I appreciate you support!

1 Like