INTRODUCTION THREAD: People affected by Hep B

Hello Ellen, I just wanted to add a comment to the response Thomas gave you, regarding switching from Tenofovir to Entecavir. There is one possible reason that this would make sense to me and that is if you are on TDF rather than TAF, there is a risk of bone loss over time with TDF which is not an issue with Entecavir (or with TAF). After 10 years of being on TDF I was diagnosed with osteoporosis, which now that I’m approaching age 70 is becoming more of an issue. In retrospect I think for me Entecavir might have been a better choice for this reason.
I would also add that it may ease your anxiety a bit to know that many people (including 3 of my family) have lived fulfilling lives with very little impact from our HBV for many decades now. My mother, who was infected with chronic HBV as a teenager is now 97 years old and still doing just fine!
Warmly, Karin

6 Likes

Waaaaaw this gives me much much smiles and hopes.
Sorry to ask. How has she been able to reach this far given all the threats I hear about this virus???
Has she been on medication and if yes, for how long has she taken the medication???

THANKS DEAR AND MAY GOD CONTINUE PROTECTING AND PROVIDING FOR YOUR MUM

2 Likes

I think my mother’s story is not only inspiring but also a reminder of how much progress has been made in understanding and treating HBV over the decades. My mom got an acute case of HBV in 1944 in Eastern Europe during WWII. Because conditions there were so difficult, (not enough food, having to flee a hospital before getting well, etc.) her HBV became chronic and within a few years, she was given a prognosis of having only a few years left to live, because the doctor felt hard spots in her liver and concluded that her cirrhosis was fairly advanced. There were no test and nobody did biopsies back then. My mom sought out a naturopathic doctor who advised her to eat a low fat diet with a lot of fruits and vegetables, which back then was not usually recommended to people with the digestive issues she had, but of course now we know that this was good advice. She credits this with helping her recover. She went on to have 3 daughters, the two older of us were infected, but my younger sister was not. We think it’s likely that my mother seroconverted to e antigen negative before my younger sister was born which probably spared her from becoming infected.
My mother was never on medication because, for many years there was none available and then, after about 50 years of chronic infection, at age 75 she spontaneously converted the HBV surface antigen and developed surface antibodies, which I think is what is now called a “functional cure”. At age 97 now, she attributes this to always having kept a positive attitude about her health and not worrying too much about having HBV. She said that after surviving the harrowing experiences in WWII she wasn’t too worried about a little virus. I think it’s important to remember that, while of course now that we know more and have more options, we would be wise to monitor and treat as needed, HBV is a disease that many people have lived with quite well for a long time, and I hope that this can help ease some of the anxiety that most of us experience when we are first diagnosed.

6 Likes

Good morning to everyone in the community
I was diagnosed with chronic hepatitis last year
This year I took another test
HBSG dropped from 5000 to 1200 and my viral load dropped from 400 to 340
Positive for Hbe antibodies
Anti Hbe positive
I have never taken any medication
Could it be eliminating the virus?

1 Like

Dear @Manuela,

Thanks for sharing your experience, and it is a good sign that your body’s immune system is fighting the infection. It is common for these levels to go up and down though, so you need to monitor the levels over time to see if they consistently go down. It is also helpful to get liver function tests to see how your liver health is going.

Thomas

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’m new to the group. I found out that I’m chronic HBV while I was pregnant with my first child at age 23. It was a very surprise to me, but I might had to get it when I was an infant having a surgery. I’m 33 years now, never been on the treatment, I had 3 kids all got all the protection vaccines during the birth and tested them when they were 1 to see if the didn’t get the virus.

I haven’t been on the treatment yet. I wanted to post my labs and results to see your feedback if I should seek a treatment yet or not.

1 Like

Hello, I’m new here and am trying to figure out how the threads work. I am a chronic carrier from birth and am 29 now. I joined the community because recently my blood tests have shown increased viral load and elevated ALT/AST so my doctor recommended I may have to start treatment soon and I am very concerned. As someone who already has general anxiety and health anxiety, this is pretty much wrecking my mental health and enjoyment of life (despite no physical things affecting me yet).

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Vemlidy (Tenofovir Alafenamide) in the UK

Hi @kostas,
Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing your experience. I understand and empathize with you hearing that you need to start treatment. While it sounds tough, think of it as a way of saving your liver. Your initial reactions are normal and expected, we all have been through it. Please try not to overwhelm yourself too much about this. Taking these pills is a live saver and they become an easy part of our routine. It is hard initially, but you will get there. Best, Bansah1

3 Likes

Welcome @Angie

So glad your children have been vaccinated. And you even checked. Well done and nice to have you here.

Your doctor or healthcare provider will let you know when or if you need treatment.

Are you having blood tests and ultrasound every six months?

Blessings

1 Like

Welcome @kostas

Thank you for being so honest. Most of us here suffer anxiety and depression from having this disease and then having to take medication for the rest of our life.
But it is actually a blessing to be able to have this medication. There is not many side-effects none that affects my life in the beginning. I felt a bit nausea. That soon went away. If we don’t take this medication, our liver starts to deteriorate, so it is a good thing, and I am grateful for the medication.

I find keeping busy and helping others takes my mind off myself and my anxiety.
I hope that you will come to terms with this, and keep posting your thoughts, because that is helpful also.

2 Likes

Great to hear from you @Angie. Thank you for sharing your experiences and welcome to the forum. It’s great that you were able to prevent any onward infection!

Thomas

Hi @Caraline, thanks for the reply. You’re right we are fortunate we have the medicine to treat us and that we have access to it, a lot of people in the world don’t. I’m trying to focus on things I’m grateful for instead of worrying - like that I have health insurance to help w the cost of it, a hepatologist I like and trust, access to resources and meds…. a support system…. I think this is the only way to change my mindset and get some peace :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

Fantastic attitude, @Kostas! Thank you for sharing and hope it inspires hope in others!

1 Like