Hep B & Nursing School Stigma

Hello everyone! I want to take a moment to express my gratitude for this platform and the supportive community it fosters. A few years ago, while I was in high school, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B. I’m not entirely sure how I contracted it, possibly through shared needles or other means. I attended a boarding school in my home country before moving to the U.S. later on. Recently, I applied to nursing school. Knowing my condition, I was really anxious about the CastleBranch process, which requires students to submit proof of vaccinations, including for Hep B. Out of fear, I decided to email the nursing administrators to explain my situation and inquire if there were any waivers available for students like me. Unfortunately, I didn’t receive a response, even after a follow-up email. I eventually met with one of the administrators in person, hoping to find a way forward. However, the reaction I received was so disheartening. I’ll never forget the look she gave me, as if I were some kind of outcast, not fit for nursing school. It was hurtful and infuriating. I’ve been doing extremely well in my classes and regularly see a hepatologist who reassured me that I’m not a risk to others. I explained all of this, but the stigma is overwhelming. I feel like my dream of becoming a nurse and helping others is slipping away just because I was honest about my condition. I’m scared that I won’t be admitted simply because of this. It’s left me feeling frustrated with myself and the situation I find myself in.
I don’t know where else to turn, but this community feels like a safe space for me to vent. I’m sorry for the long message, but thank you so much for reading.

5 Likes

Hi @KTee,
I hear you and empathize with you. It is wrong what you experienced and it should not be happening. Contact the Hepatitis B Foundation and they might be able to guide you. It is illegal and against federal law to discriminate or refuse admission to medical/nursing school because the person has hepatitis B. Please, do not blame yourself for the poor judgement shown by the administrator. You did nothing wrong. Try and reach out to the Hepatitis B Foundation. Keep us posted. Best, Bansah1

3 Likes

Hi @KTee,

I’m sorry to hear about your experiences and you’re definitely not the first to go through this process. I’d encourage you to read through some of the previous threads (Should I give up my nursing study?; Study and Practice Nursing in Australia with Hepatitis B; Hepatitis B and Immigration/visa issues; How have you dealt with discrimination because of your HBV status?) and see how others have been able to successfully navigate their way through nursing school while living with hepatitis B.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it. I’ll make sure to keep you updated with any new information.

Thank you, Thomas, for the links. Going through some of them has definitely given me a bit of hope. I really wish things were different, and we didn’t have to go through such long processes of proving ourselves, especially when it’s something beyond our control. Sometimes the hate and stigma make me feel really low about myself and my existence. But I’ll keep holding on to faith and hope for the best.